The 2017 Philly Auto Show kicked off at the Philadelphia Convention Center on January 28th and runs through February 5th. I attended the Media Day on January 28th to get a sneak peek at this year’s offerings. The show had a large variety of custom rides as well as many of the newest offering from Automotive Manufacturers from around the world. Since it was Media Day those in attendance were treated to presentations from a few of the manufacturers about the newest automotive tech soon to be released. A breakdown of those announcements can be found below with information from the Manufacturers. Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom for photo coverage of the show.
The day started at Chrysler where they presented the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, the industry’s first electrified minivan. This is definitely a nice option for anyone in the market for an extremely fuel efficient minivan that is loaded with available features.
The all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid – the industry’s first electrified minivan – is rated to deliver a range of 33 miles solely on zero-emissions electric power from a 16-kWh lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery and earned a fuel economy rating of 84 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe), based on U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards. But Pacifica Hybrid’s technological capability goes well beyond the powertrain.
The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid comes standard with the Uconnect 8.4 system, which includes an 8.4-inch touchscreen, available Uconnect Navigation and Uconnect Access connected services. In addition, the Pacifica Hybrid includes as standard equipment on all models the all-new Hybrid Electric Pages, providing owners with helpful vehicle information. The Hybrid Electric Pages include:
- Power Flow: Provides a dynamic illustration showing how/where power is flowing within the vehicle, from battery to the engine, the wheels or the HVAC system, or from regenerative braking back to the battery
- Driving History: Displays a chart showing distance driven in electric mode and hybrid mode, graphed by day
- Charge Scheduling: Allows owners to schedule the Pacifica Hybrid’s charging times (making the most of off-peak charging rates) and provides an option to override set times to charge immediately
Philly Auto Show
The all-new 2017 Jeep® Compass expands the brand’s global reach with an unmatched combination of attributes that includes legendary and best-in-class 4×4 off-road capability, advanced fuel-efficient powertrains, premium and authentic Jeep design, superior on-road driving dynamics, open-air freedom, and a host of innovative safety and advanced technology offerings.
For those who seek adventure off the beaten path, the Compass Trailhawk model delivers best-in-class Trail Rated 4×4 capability with:
- Standard Jeep Active Drive Low 4×4 20:1 crawl ratio
- Selec-Terrain with exclusive Rock mode
- Increased ride height of almost one inch, skid plates and Jeep signature red front and rear tow hooks
- Unique fascias with 30-degree approach angle, 24-degree breakover angle and a 34-degree departure angle
- Hill-descent Control
- Aggressive 17-inch off-road tires
- Up to 19 inches of water fording
- Up to 2,000-lbs. towing capability
After having a good look at the Compass the we made our way over to Toyota Live to hear a presentation on the upcoming 2018 Camry as well as Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P).
Among the many safety features on the 2018 Camry is standard Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P). This multi-feature advanced active safety suite bundles cutting edge active safety technologies including Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA); and Automatic High Beams (AHB). Select models will also come with standard Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA).
All 2018 Camry’s have 10 standard airbags and Toyota’s Star Safety System™, which includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, Electronic Brake-force Distribution, Brake Assist, Anti-lock Braking System, and Smart Stop Technology®. All Camry’s also come equipped with a standard backup camera.
The final presentation was over in the Chevrolet section to introduce us to the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt.
NEW FOR 2017
- Offers an EPA-estimated 238 miles of range
- Clean-sheet design with crossover-like proportions
- Bluetooth low energy seamlessly connects a smartphone to the vehicle when the owner approaches
- Bolt EV’s drive system uses a single, high-capacity electric motor for propulsion
- The motor is capable of producing up to 266 lb.-ft. of torque and 200 hp of motoring power. Combined with a 7.05:1 final drive ratio, that helps propel the Bolt EV from 0-60 mph in less than seven seconds
- Power delivery is controlled by Chevrolet’s first Electronic Precision Shift system – a shift and park-by-wire system that sends electronic signals to the Bolt EV’s drive.
- A by-wire shifter requires less packaging space than a traditional mechanical shifter, resulting in more interior space and improved interior layout.
- 60 kWh lithium ion battery pack, featuring five sections, 10 modules and 96 cell groups (three cells per group)
- Flat battery pack spans the entire length of the vehicle’s floor
- A 7.2 kW onboard charger for regular overnight charging from a 240-V wall box is standard. With it, a typical commute of 50 miles can be recharged in less than two hours.
- An available DC Fast Charging system using the industry standard SAE Combo connector, enabling the battery to be charged up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes (outside temperatures may affect charging time)
- Large 10.2-inch-diagonal color touch-screen display with “flip-board” operation
- Dub Show: Tricked out rides, bikes, and the latest in after-market excitement!
- Ride & Drive Zone: Test drive a BMW, Kia, Mazda, Toyota, or Nissan on the street of Philly!
Main Floor Attractions (located on the Broad Street end of the Main Exhibit Floor):
- Hollywood Rides: Iconic rides from Hollywood hits Back to the Future, Batman, Death Race, Dumb & Dumber, Fast Five, Ghostbusters, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Supernatural
- CF Charities Super Car Show: Ferrari 599XX, SSC Ultimate Aero, Mosler Raptor GTR, Saleen S7 Twin Turbo Competition
- Student Racing Teams: Methacton High School Electric Car Club, Penn Electric Racing, Philly EVX Team, Temple Formula Racing, Villanova University Formula SAE
- Local Car Clubs: Local car club members display their best for your enjoyment!
- Classic Car Collection: Three first-class classic displays take you on a trip to the past!
- Auto Show Marketplace: From chamois to Harleys, and everything in between!
The Grand Hall Attractions:
- The PitStop: The PitStop at the Auto Show: your destination or food & fun! Located on the mezzanine above Lexus & Mercedes-Benz.
About the Philly Auto Show: We are the Automobile Dealers Association of Greater Philadelphia (ADAGP); a non-profit organization consisting of approximately 180 local franchised new car and truck dealers in the five-county region of Philadelphia. Established in 1904, we are the oldest association of our kind in the nation. Our mission is to support, promote and protect the common interests of the franchised new car and truck dealers of Greater Philadelphia by providing services and programs, disseminating information, enhancing dealership image and pooling collective influence for the benefit of our members. We do this through a number of activities, education programs, events and more.The Philadelphia Auto Show has become our – and one of Philadelphia’s – largest consumer-oriented events.
Philadelphia Auto Show 2016 coverage: https://carshowz.com/2016-philadelphia-auto-show/
Philly Auto Show 2017 Photos: