The Rexing V1 Gen 3 dash cam caught my attention with the built-in Wi-Fi feature and the ability to connect to the dash cam on the spot to download and capture a video clip directly to your cell phone. With past experience and testing multiple dash cams, physically ejecting the micro sd card and downloading the video clips to a computer was painful. The Wi-Fi feature is a time saver and adds a huge layer of convenience to this Rexing dash cam.
Like most of us, binge buying on Amazon when we are bored gets the best of us. Your laying around, jump on your Amazon app and begin surfing. That’s pretty much how I set out on this dash cam search. I came across the Rexing V1 3rd Gen on Amazon.
Let’s face it, Amazon is great for convenience and they offer great products, but distinguishing legit reviews versus fake reviews is becoming a challenge. Finding a decent product with the features you are searching for, at a fair price and has legit reviews is a struggle.
On a side-note: download https://www.fakespot.com/. Fakespot analyzes reviews to help make better purchasing decisions. You can plug in a URL into a browser or use it via your cell phone. In my case, an iPhone.
OK, back to the Rexing. The Rexing V1 Gen 3 dash cam appeared to have all of the right features and was decently priced compared to other dash cams in its category. 4K Ultra High-Definition (UHD) Wi-Fi car dash cam with a 2.4″ Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) 170° wide angle. I opted for the front-facing camera only for a couple of reasons. 1.) I did not feel like running the wire to the rear of my 3rd row SUV for the rear-facing camera and 2.) I do have 5% window tint on-top of my factory window tint and with past experience at night the dash cam was useless.
Rexing was gracious enough to send a dash cam in exchange for a published review via CarShowz. So here we are 🙂
Rexing V1 Gen 3 Dash Cam Arrives
In just a few days the Rexing V1 Gen 3 dash cam arrives and being anxious, the unboxing begins.
My initial thought of the design out of the box is it is sleek. The unique shape of the cam made me question how viewing the screen while mounted on the front windshield would work?
I do not leave the display on while driving to have less of a distraction, so being able to view the 2.4″ screen is not a huge deal breaker for me. However, when initially adjusting the dash cam the screen view was fine even at an odd angle.
Rexing Installation & Set-up
Setting up the dash cam was very straight forward. Everything you need is included in the box. Although the dash cam came with a 16GB micro sd card, I decided to go with a 32GB micro sd card for extra capacity. The added space all depends on your dash cam settings (resolution, voice recording, etc.)
The mounting hardware to me was questionable. 3M double-sided tape with a plastic mounting bracket to the windshield is what is included. I am located on the east coast (U.S.) and we are currently in 20-30° temps outside. I am curious to see how the 3M tape holds up in 100° temps in the Summer. There is a separate suction cup mounting bracket that can be purchased via Amazon.
I ran the power wire up the side of my rear-view mirror and was able to tuck the wire into the headline channel, down the a-pillar and run it underneath my dashboard. The included wire-ties with tape were pretty much useless. Even with prep, I was not able to use the wire-tie and get the tape to stick to my dash to try and neatly tuck the wires away even more so than I had already. You can get creative and use the existing structure of your dashboard and wire-tie using your own ties to better hide the wires. Otherwise, you can just have the power dangle down from the dash cam and plug it directly into your power outlet in your vehicle.
The camera settings are pretty straight forward and navigating the menu options are easy, even for a first-time dash cam user. Like most impatient males who do not want to read instructions, you can easily just start clicking buttons to find your way through the menu.
Rexing Wi-Fi Feature / Downloading Videos
My first mistake of being an impatient male was that I downloaded the Rexing Connect app via the app store. You can connect to your dash cam via Wi-Fi and view videos, but I was not able to download the video clip directly to my phone. Be sure to download the TimaCam app instead. 🙂
The TimaCam app will allow you to access your dashcam, review clips, download clips and save the clips to your cell phone. It is pretty much a 6 step process that I follow.
- Via your dash cam, enable Wi-Fi Mode.
- Access your Rexing via the TimaCam app.
- Navigate through the video clips via your dash cam.
- Select and download the clips you would like to save.
- Navigate to the local folder where you download the clip.
- Select the clip and click on save to your camera roll.
Note: I have an iPhone, so saving and navigating for other devices may be slightly different. However, I cannot imagine that there is a drastic difference.
Rexing Video Clip Samples
Rexing Photo Samples
Rexing V1 3rd Gen Dash Cam Full Features
- ULTRA-HD RECORDING: Capture video up to a resolution of 2160p @ 24fps. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create a balanced image.
- WIFI CONNECT: View, save, and share dash cam recordings wirelessly on your mobile device using the dash cam’s WiFi function.
- DISCREET DESIGN: Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead. 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS opens up to capture a sweeping view of its surroundings.
- LOOP RECORDING: When the storage limit is reached on the memory card, new recordings will automatically overwrite oldest recordings. Supports UHS-I / Class 10 or higher MicroSD cards (up to 256GB).
- ACCIDENT AUTO-DETECTION (G-SENSOR) AND PARKING MONITOR: When the built-in gravity sensor detects a collision, the current video is locked, ensuring important footage is kept protected. Locked video will be kept safe from being overwritten. Parking monitor provides 24 hour protection.
Check out our blog section for more technology reviews and features.